Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 12: An Ode to Parents

"Hear, O heavens, and listen, O earth; for the Lord has spoken: I reared children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against me.  Come now, let us argue it out, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be like snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. 
-Isaiah 1:2, 18




While reading Isaiah 1:2-4, 16-20, I wasn’t connecting so much on a spiritual level at first so much as I was finally realizing what parents must face on a daily basis. I have to be honest and admit that I was a terrible kid growing up. I think that realization comes with age and maturity, being able to admit how much of a hellion you were. I was afforded every opportunity in life, a loving two parent household, an amazing education, food and conversation at every meal,  if I wanted something it was mine, but yet I rebelled in every way possible.

2 Hear, O heavens, and listen, O earth;
   for the Lord has spoken:
I reared children and brought them up,
   but they have rebelled against me. 

 Why must this be a natural progression into adulthood? Is there anything we actually achieve in doing the things that hurt our parents the most? Is there anything we achieve in distancing our selves from God with our sins? As one that distanced themselves from both God and their parents through adolescence, I believe it is a test for us. You have to be able to make your own mistakes and have no one to blame but yourself and then find yourself along the way before you can appreciate the guidance that was always there. With age comes wisdom and clarity and as the prodigal son returned, I too realized one day how far I had strayed from my parents and God and their guidance.

18 Come now, let us argue it out,
   says the Lord:
though your sins are like scarlet,
   they shall be like snow;
though they are red like crimson,
   they shall become like wool. 


How many times have I heard this? How many times have there been disagreements with your parents and God when in actuality it is only one sided with the hostility coming from your end? How many times have you yelled yourself hoarse only to be met with the response “Are you finished?” and realized your anger and hatred isn’t going to hurt anyone because their unconditional love sees beyond what you have done wrong? God is that perfect parent that sees beyond the detentions and bad grades and not loving thy neighbor as themselves. The power of forgiveness is one that cannot be undermined. The opportunity to return to something we thought we had lost forever is something truly amazing. The short time we are on Earth, God has entrusted us to these special people we call parents, to guide us closer to Him, and I want to thank Him for giving me some of the best!


Charlotte File is 25 years old and from the Diocese of Indianapolis serving the Diocese of 
Yokohama at the Kiyosato Educational Experiment Project in Japan. When she is not shoveling her 
way out of the snow still on the ground, she enjoys eating every new Japanese food she can find. 


Please comment below or 
Sign up on the left to follow by email or 
Check out our blogs on the Follow Our Journeys page 



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment